20 more fascinating facts from the Internet Index
The Internet Index is compiled by, copyrighted by, and used with
permission of Win Treese (email@example.com) and updated every
once in a while.
- Annual rate of growth for Gopher traffic: 997%
- Annual rate of growth for WWW traffic: 341,634%
- Average time between new networks connecting to the Internet: 10
- Number of newspaper and magazine articles about the Internet
during the first nine months of 1993: over 2300
- Number of on-line coffeehouses in San Francisco: 18
- Cost for four minutes of Internet time at those coffeehouses:
- Date of first Internet mail message sent by a US President: 2
March 1993 (Sent by Bill Clinton)
- Date on which first Stephen King short story published via the
Internet before print publication: 19 Sept 1993
- Number of mail messages carried by IBM's Internet gateways in
January, 1993: about 340,000
- Advertised network numbers in October, 1993: 16,533.
Advertised network numbers in October, 1992: 7,505
- Date after which more than half the registered networks were
commercial: August, 1991
- Number of Internet hosts in Norway, per 1000 population: 5.
Number of Internet hosts in United States, per 1000 population: 4
- Round-trip time from MIT to mcmvax.mcmurdo.gov in McMurdo,
Antarctica: 640 milliseconds.
Number of hops: 18
- Number of Silicon Valley real estate agencies advertising with
Internet mail addresses: 1
- Terabytes carried by the NSFnet backbone in February, 1993: 5
- Number of countries reachable by electronic mail: about 137.
Number of countries not reachable by electronic mail: about 99.
Number of countries on the Internet: 60.
- Amount of time it takes for Supreme Court decisions to become
available on the Internet: less than one day.
- Date of first National Public Radio program broadcast
simultaneously on the Internet: 21 May 1993
- Percent of Boardwatch Top 100 BBS systems with Internet
- Number of people on the Internet who know you're a dog: 0
Internet Top Ten Lists Table of Contents | Previous List | Next List
Copyright © 1994, 1995, 2004 by Kevin Savetz. The information in this book was collected in 1994-1995 and has not been updated since.