SMUGgler's BBS: What's new?
Author: Steve Kayner, SMUGgler's BBS Administrator
Date: November, 1993
Keywords: bulletin board system SMUG bureaucracy update
Text: There were more than 20 members added during the month of October. That beats our next best month by 5 (in June we had 15, with the unveiling of SMUGgler's). Thanks to our new members for having the moxie to link up with us. One of our recent newbies said ''I'm always a little suspicious of any group that would have me...'' Under Casey's new National File-Care Program, our SMUG online library has grown to more than 1536 files. New member, and long-time friend of SMUG, Ralph Robie of our local Apple dealer, Capital Business Machines, has donated a sizeable collection of additional files for our library that will be added as time and space permit. Stephen Hawking indicates that if we could slow time down, we would have more hard drive space, but the downloads would then be measured in bits per year... Our most active day on SMUGgler's was 10/25/93, when we had 86 logins. Many of those were duplicate logons, with the same users coming back for more. Some of those logons were linkups between SMUGgler's and the new Northcoast Electronic Town, which are now connected for e-mail and gateways, both of OneNet and Local Conferences. Statistics as of 10/29/93 3:05 AM, since June opening: Total Logins = 8215, Bytes Uploaded = 308,568,033, Bytes Downloaded = 713,516,514, Total Connect = 2725 hours 33 minutes 42 seconds, Total (all) files on server = about 20,000 including system files. All in all, October was a great month on SMUGgler's BBS. 77% of the membership has tried SMUGgler's at least once. Where are the other 23%? C'mon, let's get ya'll online. The modem loaner program is still in effect. Call me at 445-3454, we'll get you set up (members only, please, but we'd be happy to make you a new member.) We are continuing in our efforts to get SMUG's Known Users newsletter online, but the trail has been frought with problems. Once we succeed, our members will have the choice of receiving their monthly KU as a printed copy through snail mail, or online. I guess that's it. See you at the next meeting and the 100th member pizza party on November 17th. - Steve
Copyright © november, 1993 by Steve Kayner, SMUGgler's BBS Administrator